Friday, June 12, 2009

Newness

I haven't written much about this, but I have felt like I could use this experience as an opportunity to share my beliefs about the church and about why we do what we do.

In March, I was asked by the bishop to be the temporal and spiritual leader of the women's organization (Relief Society in English. Frauenhilfsvereinigung in German). As you know, my German is a work in progress. On top of the language barrier, there also exists a cultural one. I am only 27 and have had no "experience" as a leader of an organization. The list of reasons why I shouldn't have been called as the FHV leiter could go on.

I doubted and asked, why in the world would the Lord ask ME to do such a task?

A friend, who doesn't share my same beliefs, created more doubt in my mind and told me that it was crazy and that I should ask for a different calling. I explained to her that the Lord's ways are not our ways, His thoughts, not ours. It helped me to be able to say that outloud.

Another friend, firm in the faith, exhorted me to not look at myself as the leader, but as the servant.

I believe that the bishop of our ward is inspired and listens to Heavenly Father through the Holy Ghost...and then he chooses. I also had to do my own "finding out" and did that through prayer. As I prayed to know that this was right and also, who my counselors (assistants) should be, I had very peaceful feelings come over me. These opportunities that we are given in our church to serve are no doubt for our own growth and the growth of those we serve. I have seen this already in the past 3 months. I have felt myself spending more time praying and reading the words of God, contained in the scriptures. I think more about other people than before. I feel a love developing for each indiviudual.

I always thought my life would really be turned upsidown because of this calling...but it has stayed much the same--I still have time to play with the kids, go on dates with Ben, do the laundry, be on facebook, call my family, etc. The Lord has expanded my time and has also taught me how to balance that time.

Here we are at the temple in Frankfurt.We went together, feeling this was a good way to begin our service. Lena (left), me, Michaela


2 comments:

  1. You are gonna be incredible! I agree with everything you said 100%! God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will do a great job! I am a firm believer in the whole "time-expansion" thing when we put God first.

    ReplyDelete