Tuesday, April 20, 2010

pIcTuReLeSs PoSt

Sometimes it is nice to return to the blog and actually write something about our lives other than status updates on facebook. Unfortunately today, all I have is words.
We visited the beautiful city of Berlin last month with Ben's parents and brother. We survived in that city for one reason only...my organized and smart Ben. He planned everything out and was really the only reason we had any clue where to go and how to get there.
One unfortunate thing, however, is that Natalee got a hold of the camera and left it on a city bus. (Okay...WE left it on the city bus.) The bus drivers supposedly checked their buses at the end of their route and found no camera. So we are still camera-less which means no pictures for the blog.
There are some days here in Germany, when I just want to drive to the airport and go back home...to the comforts of family, culture, language, my job as a nurse, and the hot-as-heck summers in Arizona. I have had a few days when I have felt like I was back at day one...as if I was in a brand new country. But I am continually amazed at the seemingly insignificant moments that strengthen my resolve to stay in this land, to keep going, to enjoy it even. I was riding my bike with Natalee in the trailer behind me and heard the clingle of noon church bells. This sound today was enough to keep me going...for at least another day, that is. I think about the future day that we will eventually return home and my heart sinks. I have so many good friends here and the people are for the most part genuinely kind and helpful. It will be a bitter sweet day.
We had a recent rude awakening from our friendly neighborhood utility company. When we first moved here, they set our utility usage at what is customary for a typical 4-person-family. But they should have known that we are not typical!! We ended up with an 850 euro bill at the end of the year. We told some of our German friends and they reminded us that Germans have been raised to be very earth friendly etc. etc. and so we just have to learn to be that way too. Ben and I have become very energy conscious--probably for the wrong reasons--and now hang-dry most of our clothes, turn off lights more and have changed several of our bulbs to energy-saving bulbs. We determined that our dryer and dishwasher are the biggest energy consumers. However, I refuse to handwash all dishes!!!
A quick update on the girls...
Kaitlyn, just about halfway to 6, is slowly but surely growing out of her tantrums that we so dearly dread. She has so much energy and spends most of it at Kindergarten and then for about 4 hours after school playing with friends. She makes sure to include in her prayers how grateful she is that she gets to play with friends. Sometimes she will tell me that her friends know more than me. We are so busted--this girl is only 5 but has a social life like a teenager. She is learning to read English and thanks to an idea I got from my sister about teaching kids piano using stickers on the keys, she can also play a few songs. It is nothing I ask her or force her to do--she just sits down and plays when she wants.
Natalee, turning 3 next month (though she swears she is actually 4) can be the sweetest little thing...except at 630 am when she is crying MOMMY at the bottom of our stairs. She also likes to come into our room crying at very odd hours of the night. She even woke our adjoining neighbor one night. Natalee has always been a little sensitive--and I always say, "once a colicky baby, always a colicky child. " It is our daily challenge to have patience and understanding with this little emotional one.
With emotions however comes spice and excitement for life...and I am so grateful that we have kids that are full of fun, wonder, life and vigor.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jess! I enjoy reading your adventures over there. That must be so hard to love 2 lands where a part of you will always feel homesick for the other. Rachel is now 2 and all I've got to say is 'Wow'! Girls are so much more emotional than boys, born that way! You are such a wonderful mommy and a beautiful family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see your blog active again...even if it is without pictures. :) Sorry that we didn't help your electric bill any while we were there. We talk about the fabulous time we had and can't wait until Nat and Lily can get back together again. Those two are definitely full of "spice" and "fun!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess....Once in awhile I remember that you have this blog, even though it is quickly accessed by my computer's bookmarks. I am always blessed to read it and to know how you're feeling. I enjoyed this last entry. People ask me how you are, and all I can tell me is, she's growing immensely. I know this is true.

    ReplyDelete