I am determined , yet again, to make this blog what it was originally intended to be....and I wouldnt feel so much pressure if I lived by our family and old friends {as in, "good-ole friends"} So here is to my new resolution....lets call it a half-years resolution....to write our history down.
We recently started 2 new dinner-time traditions.
The first one{Ben gets all the credit here}: Preparing for the meal-time prayer. Tickle your face.....tickle your ears...tickle your cheeks....and so on. The last one is always, tickle your elbows, and then the girls' arms are in a perfect position to be folded. I am learning a lot as a parent when it comes to praying children. Their world looks different in their eyes. They pray for things like--please bless that my toe will get better, help me to have fun with my friends, etc. We alternate who speaks the prayer when we have family prayer--and often times I feel like our family really needs a good, heartfelt prayer. Then Natalee is up to bat--and she thanks God for the day and to bless her owie and that's the end. Here's a picture of the latest owie. It was probably worth praying for. {sorry, its a little graphic!}
The second one {I will take credit for this one}: Box of index cards at the table. Sharpie. What was your favorite thing about today? Lets write it down and keep it as a memory.
Sometimes I wonder how I will feel when my children are out of the house and the front of my fridge is uncluttered...when the glass door to the backyard is spotless....and I am pretty sure I will miss the painted pictures and the fingerprints.
I recently got released from my position as relief society president in my ward in Düsseldorf. It was a surprise, since I had only been doing it for a year, but it has opened up my schedule quite a bit. I am now having fun in the primary with the kids teaching music! This is the best calling for me...because I love to teach, I love music, and I love being crafty and creative. I can get up infront of the kids and make all sorts of grammar mistakes and say wrong words and they still think I'm the best thing since sliced bread. {Which reminds me...I miss nice, soft sandwich bread from the states TERRIBLY}
I have to throw in a Germany story, of course. I will make this one about soccer...since this blog is technically about the whole family. Germany is a country with a past...well, all countries are...but Germany has an especially tricky past. For this reason, Germans do not like to show extreme patriotism. They dont have a pledge to the flag, nor to they even fly their flags very often.
Except....during the World Cup.
Since June, every 3rd or 4th car had a flag attached to the window or side-mirror covers of the German flag. People hung flags out their windows, wore flag dresses, and I am sure....ate flag wienerschnitzel {somehow}. I marveled at the extreme switch from relative non- patriotism to extreme patriotism.....all because of a sport. And of course, as a non-sports lover, I certainly do not understand this phenomenon.
Ben and the girls decked themselves out in flag stripes {free, courtesy of the local grocery store}
Kaitlyn likes to play the piano. I put stickers on some of the keys to guide her to learn a few songs. She likes to play 2 German songs--Fuchs du hast die Ganz gestollen (the fox stole the goose) and Alle meine Entchen (All my ducklings).
Absolutely no interest in taking lessons from her mom or even opening a lesson book!
No comments:
Post a Comment